Re: [LUG] USB extender

 On 14/01/2012 17:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012, tom wrote:

I have a leaky roof and as the house was obviously architect designed it is almost impossible to get up to check the problem without a LOT of scaffolding. It did occur to me that one solution might be a USB camera on a stick - but I'd need about 30' (10m) of cable. Anyone tried these extender cables - I dont want to spend £40 to find out the bandwidth drops to useless.

USB bandwidth isn't dictated by cable length - it's fixed at whatever speed it's fixed at - 1.5Mb/sec or 12Mb/sec for USB-1 (set by the device), or 480Mb/sec for USB-2.

What will stop things working is voltage drop over distance - sending 5V down a bit of weedy cable 10m long might well drop too much to power something at the far-end. Esepcially if it's a camera with LED lighting.
http://www.cables2u.co.uk/line-extender-extends-upto-p-340.html?gclid=CIGnztqC0q0CFWQntAodXiPPmw

I guess there is some sort of booster in the box to compensate for the voltage drop.

Julian