Re: [LUG] USB extender

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Julian Hall wrote:

On 14/01/2012 17:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012, tom wrote:

I have a leaky roof and as the house was obviously architect designed it is almost impossible to get up to check the problem without a LOT of scaffolding. It did occur to me that one solution might be a USB camera on a stick - but I'd need about 30' (10m) of cable. Anyone tried these extender cables - I dont want to spend £40 to find out the bandwidth drops to useless.

USB bandwidth isn't dictated by cable length - it's fixed at whatever speed it's fixed at - 1.5Mb/sec or 12Mb/sec for USB-1 (set by the device), or 480Mb/sec for USB-2.

What will stop things working is voltage drop over distance - sending 5V down a bit of weedy cable 10m long might well drop too much to power something at the far-end. Esepcially if it's a camera with LED lighting.
http://www.cables2u.co.uk/line-extender-extends-upto-p-340.html?gclid=CIGnztqC0q0CFWQntAodXiPPmw

I guess there is some sort of booster in the box to compensate for the voltage drop.

Must be something else as USB has strict timing requirements too... But if it works...

Gordon