Re: [LUG] RaspberryPI import tax - a petition

On 14/01/12 22:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012, tom wrote:
>
>> http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/27158
>
> And what' the betting that they'll adjust things the other way - so that
> tax *is* applied to manufactured goods...

As Tom says that might be progress, as then tax wise it would be more
efficient to produce in the EU.

Generally import duties are applied to all imported goods, I assume that
completed electronics is exempted through some separate agreement or other.

Certainly I'd expect to see the relevant legislation referenced by the
petition before I'd sign, as then I could find out why they made it like
it is. Laws are like sausages, better not to see them being made, but on
the other hand if you want to change some about them it is best to know
why they are made the way they were. Think of it like fixing bugs in
code without knowing what the code does, we've probably all done it, but
we know it is potentially risky.

I think the petition may be mis-targeted as most of these rules are set
at the European level, or harmonised with EU rules. HMRC may not be the
most popular organization, but it might not be their fault, indeed they
rarely set tax policy, although they may fill in the details.