Re: [LUG] US Air Force moves to Linux

On 13/01/12 09:03, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> Yes, I'm not saying I can't see the case to be made for it. It's just
> that I imagine it goes against the whole secretive nature of the
> military.

The military are not as secretive as all that, besides since most terms
of popular FOSS licences apply to redistribution there is no reason for
"outsiders" to know you are using it, or to distribute changes to them
unless they are already sharing software with them.

I suspect just like the rest of government, and most big organisations,
the military unnecessarily duplicates a lot of software simply because
they aren't good at recognising shared requirements across departments.
I dare say for some bits secrecy makes that slightly worse, but probably
not as much as you might think.

On the upside the military have clear chains of command and
responsibility compared to much of government or industry so relatively
easy say for someone in the Royal Marines to find the appropriate person
in the Paras if they feel they have a shared requirement and want to
know how it was met by the other group. I dare say the same is true in
America.

Now intelligence is probably a different kettle of fish, don't the US
have something like 5 intelligence agencies, and I dare say
communication is more difficult, especially as some of them are in quite
different areas of intelligence. But again these agencies have formal
protocols for exchange of information, so whilst it is probably slower
than the military to exchange such information the channels are probably
even more clearly defined, although it'll limit the informal exchange (I
dare say they use secondment to exchange that sort of knowledge).

My experience is that the strict procedures over spending money in such
organisations is a big incentive to use suitably qualified gratis
solutions. Whilst the requirements on security sensitive stuff to be
tested, or shown to correctly use encryption protocols, prevents wider
deployment of (probably) perfectly good free software solutions because
they often don't have large organisations behind them paying for testing
and certification.

http://dodcio.defense.gov/sites/oss/Open_Source_Software_%28OSS%29_FAQ.htm#Q:_Does_the_DoD_use_OSS_for_security_functions.3F

Q: Does the DoD use OSS for security functions?

Yes. The 2003 MITRE study, "Use of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS)
in the U.S. Department of Defense", for analysis purposes, posed the
hypothetical question of what would happen if OSS software were banned
in the DoD, and found that OSS "plays a far more critical role in the
DoD than has been generally recognized... (especially in) Infrastructure
Support, Software Development, Security, and Research". In particular,
it found that DoD security "depends on (OSS) applications and
strategies", and that a hypothetic ban "would have immediate, broad, and
in some cases strongly negative impacts on the ability of the DoD to
analyze and protect its own networks against hostile intrusion. This is
in part because such a ban would prevent DoD groups from using the same
analysis and network intrusion applications that hostile groups could
use to stage cyberattacks. It would also remove the uniquely (OSS)
ability to change infrastructure source code rapidly in response to new
modes of cyberattack".