Re: [LUG] US Air Force moves to Linux

On Jan 13, 2012 9:04 AM, "Martijn Grooten" <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> > Or really good add they'll have the source code so they can check that
> > there's no hidden backdoors and the software will do what it's supposed to
> > do.
>
> Yes, I'm not saying I can't see the case to be made for it. It's just
> that I imagine it goes against the whole secretive nature of the
> military.
>
> Martijn.

Not necessarily. Don't forget that with the GPL, if you're not making your modified binary available publicly then you don't need to make any of your changes public either. The world may also be able to see the source code that the military *took*, but not necessarily what the military *have*.

Grant