Re: [LUG] Computing in Schools..

On 11/01/12 12:43, Julian Hall wrote:
>  On 11/01/2012 09:09, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps there is hope after all:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16493929
>>
>> Gordon
>>
> I'd like to see a GCSE and/or A Level course run along similar lines
> to my initial HND (I did the two years then topped up with a further
> year to a BSc as the degree course first two years was identical).
>
> Combined Programming/Network/Multimedia in the first year, with bits
> of business and legal (which could be dropped with the assumption
> they're going to learn that later anyway).
>
> Second year pick a speciality from the three and complete GCSE with
> qualification in Computing with Multimedia/Networking/Programming.  Or
> just teach all three to give a rounded grounding in general IT.
>
> I also totally agree with the comment that you need lecturers with
> real world experience, or at least teaching use of tools the industry
> actually is using.  The current broken ICT curriculum sounds more like
> a modified ECDL which is a terrible idea from start to finish (not the
> ECDL itself, but copying it).
>
> Julian

Lets add problem solving and thinking to all this,  I get the impression
that most users need to be re-trained everytime their employer changes
the word processor software, even from say word 2000 to 2003.   it seems
people lack confidence, to figure stuff out,  if the can take a step
back and think things through then they can adapt their skills.  A lot
of programming is logical and thinking in a certain way.   ECDL seems
partly to blame for this as you teach to the exam,   but the whole idea
of this needs a fundamental rethink.

how would it work,  if we looked at what is needed for ingots a a higher
level,  you need to contribute code to a project or write something that
is going to be used by people out side the computer lab,  that way it
HAS to be right,  and you need to share it with others to get feed back
and help from your team, (and employers want people that can work and
collaborate and understand team work).

Example for thinking could be "html does not work properly",   have I
closed the tags I have opened, find on the page where the issue is,
find the corresponding code and see if it looks right.    sure tidy can
help but you still need to understand what went wrong.

this happens more with bluefish trying to help me as the close tag box
covers up other bits of code,  so i end up pressing cancel so I can see
the bits its covering up then end up not putting in the right closing
tags or they go in twice,  and yeah i know people are gonna say use vi
or emacs.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com