Re: [LUG] Computing in Schools..

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Julian Hall wrote:

I also totally agree with the comment that you need lecturers with real world experience, or at least teaching use of tools the industry actually is using. The current broken ICT curriculum sounds more like a modified ECDL which is a terrible idea from start to finish (not the ECDL itself, but copying it).

I think you need lecturers with an open mind more than anything.. When I did COBOL at uny, I actually struggled with it until I bothered to read the book - then it dawned on me that what he was teaching us wasn't COBOL by the book, it was COBOL as defined by the commercial background (and I suspect bank) he'd come from.

Now adopting a "house style" is probably no bad thing, but forcing it on new students probably isn't a good thing - not in my expeience, anyway.

Ye-Gods... I can't belive I've just opened up my old COBOL book. Now to put it away for another 30 years.

B99-END.

Gordon