Re: [LUG] Anyone tried CodeAcademy?

On 09/01/12 12:33, Julian Hall wrote:

> - and unlike when I did A Level, a language actually in use in
> industry.

Isn't that the same mistake as teaching them Microsoft Office because
everyone uses it? They should teach in languages that exemplify, and
explain the principles of computer science even if no one uses that
language in anger. Although I suspect it would be as easy to teach these
in extant languages, which would be preferable.

I personally suspect, and fervently hope, most of the languages
currently widely used will be dead or dying in any sensible timescale,
and even if they aren't it won't matter if people understand the
principles of proper programming they soon will be after they have
graduated to the world of work.

The problem is where to find the teachers, since most people I know in
the industry have limited understanding of the concepts (myself
included), and even many of those who understand the concepts don't
adhere to most of them in their day to day work (and frankly it shows in
the results).