Re: [LUG] Anyone tried CodeAcademy?

 On 09/01/2012 13:34, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I give you the Apple II, or BBC B... They "boot" in under a second, are fast enough for immediate use and produce instant results.
BBC B was the old workhorse I started out on.. did a bit with a Spectrum 48K, most with the Beeb and then moved onto STOS on the Atari ST. That was a nice version of BASIC too, bit more powerful than the BBC B but still with the OS on a ROM so boot time was about a second too :)
So lets just wind the clock back 34 years :-)

And I don't think there's anything wrong with good old BASIC either - well, a relatively modern implementation with structured concepts. Anyone who really is keen will very quickly pick up something else when they are ready. I started with BASIC on an HP9800 desktop thing, moved to the local time-sharing service via a TTY33 + acoustic modem, then to Apple II then to assembler, FORTRAN, Pascal, C, COBOL and it's a bit of a blur after that.. (probably the prolog). Currently I regularly program in C and PHP.
My path was BBC Basic in school with bits of FORTRAN, COBOL and Pascal, later STOS, then in my degree VB, C++ and Prolog.. oh and Javascript.

Julian