Re: [LUG] Anyone tried CodeAcademy?

 On 09/01/2012 12:03, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, tom wrote:

http://www.codecademy.com/

Havenʼt registered but could be promising.

It's an interactive javascript thingy. Quite interesting. I went through the first 3 "lessons" then they want you to register/sign-up...

I guess it's going to teach a certain type of coding - ie. javacript purely aimed at web type applications...

Still... There does seem to be a lot of interest in "coding" recently (Why coding and not programming?) - it's almost as if people haven't learned to write code in the past 10 years...

... which I understand is basically what's happened (in-schools in England, as I understand from friends still teaching in Scotland that they still teach computer programming and not just glorified secretarial studies)

I have my own thoughts on this, having learnt to program in school some 34 years back, however we'll see.

Gordon
I read a BBC article the other day bemoaning poor ICT in schools.. one teacher said all they teach is Microsoft Office! Actually that second one might have been in a computer magazine, but the point is the same. I learnt programming in O Level and A Level back in 1985-89 and even when I completed by degree as a mature student two years ago the same principles hold true whatever the language, Visual Basic. C++, Javascript etc. That's what needs to be taught IMHO - basic principles of programming, of course based around a modern language - and unlike when I did A Level, a language actually in use in industry.

Julian