Re: [LUG] An iPod for the Linux generation...

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, bad apple wrote:

On 21/12/11 19:38, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Henry Bremridge wrote:

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:22:06PM +0200, Ray Smith wrote:

I'm using an android phone from Orange, the San Francisco.

Ditto using android phone.

My wife tried that some time back. She wants a Linux compatible
iPod-like device to replace her current iPod which has a failing
battery. It's as simple as that.

Replace the battery, preferably with a third party enhanced version? I
have done several of these and still have an ancient donated 3rd gen
iPod working perfectly with an upgraded HDD and battery.

Of course, you can't do this with a Nano or other properly sealed unit
(easily). For added points flash a 3rd party firmware such as rockbox if
possible.

It's a 2nd generation, 8GB iPod nano...

However it seems that she's been doing her own homework and has found some that will plug into the same docking speakers she has and are advertised as working with Linux... So there's hope yet.

Cheers,

Gordon