Re: [LUG] OT: router/modem suggestion

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> It shouldn't be. I run it on lots of Linux boxes myself. You need the kernel
> ppp and pppoe drivers and it more or less just works. You can't get the full
> 1500 byte MTU though - 2 reasons - one is that the V120 limits it to 1492
> and the other is that you need to take off the PPPoE overhead - that then
> potentially leads to MSS and fragmentation issues - the Debian scrips take
> care of it though by applying some mangling rules to the firewalling. I
> imagine SuSE does something similar too, but if not, give me a shout and
> I'll forward all the scripts.

I might have to take up your offer to help.

I've set it all up and it seems to be working. However, anything that
involves large packets (scp, http, lots of stuff really) doesn't work.
So I guess there's something going on with the MTU. However, lowering
it (in yast, confirming that /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth1 then
uses the same value) doesn't help.

If does change the MTU though:
  ping -f -v -c 10 -s value remote.host
works as long as value is at most 32 lower than the MTU. (At least,
that's the case for most hosts. google.com is an exception.)

Any thoughts?

Martijn.