Re: [LUG] Looking for a new printer

 On 09/12/2011 11:34, Neil Winchurst wrote:
My current printer is over 5 years old, although it still works quite
well (Epson Stylus Photo 810). I am wondering if it is reaching its sell
by date so I have been looking around the internet for some ideas about
a replacement. What a nightmare! There are so many printers around it is
just crazy. So what do I use my printer for?

Occasional print of a photograph. I have recently joined the local
photographic society so I will probably be wanting to do a bit more
photo printing now. I also do like a reasonable result when printing text.

I am not interested in fax, duplex or anything larger than A4. However
my wife has her computer in another room so I have the set-up for her to
send print instructions to my computer via the wifi which means that my
computer and printer have to both be switched on before it works. So I
would like a printer which has wifi or some other way of connecting to
the router.

Incidentally my router, Netgear DG834G does have wifi, of course, but
does not have a USB port. So far it seems that the makes to consider are
either Epson or HP.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/wifi%20printer/products

There's a wide range of makes it seems. I would first pick your budget and then look at what printers suit your needs within that. Presumably you won't be going the MFP route? In terms of Linux I would also be inclined to look at older models which suit your needs - provided you can get consumables for them of course! - because I think they're more likely to 'just work' in Linux without mucking about :)

Julian