Re: [LUG] OT: router/modem suggestion

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Martijn Grooten wrote:

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I imagine SuSE does something similar too, but if not, give me a shout and
I'll forward all the scripts.

There are people on the Internet using it with SuSE so that doesn't
sound like a problem.

PPPoE also means I don't have to worry about it not being
IPv6-compatible as it will be automatically, right?

If the ISP provides IPv6, then yes. All you need is the line

ipv6 ,

(that's space comma)

in the config file somewhere. However I then manually set the IP address on my ppp interface because it doesn't seem to get picked up by any sort of automatic mechanism.

IPv6 works, but it still appears to be an uphill struggle to get everyone to peer with everyone at the backbone level - e.g. my hosting ISP has IPv6, my ADSL ISP has IPv6, but they don't (yet) peer with each other, so the IPv6 route is some 18 hops via Paris between the 2 while the IPv4 route is only 11 hops all in the UK.

One day...

Gordon