Re: [LUG] Linux Security Mentoring

On 29/11/11 15:08, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, tom wrote:

On 29/11/11 13:23, Philip Radford wrote:
Hi Gordon.

Thanks for your quick reply. Your comments are exactly the areas we need advice on. I realised I should have been more descriptive but was racking my
brain as to the best places to seek advice.

It would be the following issues. Some of which you have already mentioned.

1. Pass PCI Compliance for potentially capturing credit-card data (for use
with Payment Gateways - such as SagePay Direct)

My advice on this one is to use payment services but never ever keep (or even touch) any credit-card data yourself. There's no need and its just not worth it. And check out your bank - you may find you have a merchant account that’s already available for online CC payments and normally only sets you back £20 pm and normal CC payment charges - last time I looked sage was a bit more greedy. And you may be paying for it already!

Banks are getting more and more funny in their view to these things. Some are even insisting on it when, like scenarios above, you never see the CC details. However there are situations when you might want to keep the CC details for defered payments - e.g. out of stock items where you don't want to charge the punter until they're in-stock and shipped.
That used to be done by taking all the details and agreeing a payment and then finalising that transaction on shipping. In fact I believe that may be the only legal way. Not that many do it properly
Tom te tom te tom