Re: [LUG] OpenOffice.org )-:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Rhia Knowles wrote:

I had both Ooo and Libreoffice crash trying to save a document as
docx, might be worth checking she isnt trying to do that before
changing version.

She's saving it natively - the idea being to export to pdf and send a pdf as the final report.

Abiword handles Docx nicely and is lighter then ooo/libreoffice if all
she needs is wordprocessor

Well ... There are several issues here... Yes, "all" she needs is a "wordprocessor", but having used MS Word for a very long time, it would need to be something that works in a similar manner - hence using OOo as the "principle of least surprise" - saying that, I've not tried AbiWord myself, so I've no idea how similar it is to MS Word...

I'd love to get her into TeX/LaTeX, however to do that, I'd need to design a new set of templates for her because it will be beyond her capabilities and that will take time - as well as the time to get get "into" it, although LyX might be a start. However, while I do a lot in LaTeX, producing a table in LaTeX is really quite hard.

FWIW: I installed the back-ported LO on my own PC and it opened a recent .docx which I was sent which OOo couldn't open - however it openend it without any of the embedded images which the docx to odf convertor (odf-converter-integrator) did handle. So not perfect yet...

Gordon