Re: [LUG] General consensus: AMD64 or I386 install of Debian Testing?

On 26/11/11 21:41, Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

Just performing an "upgrade" of my Ubuntu laptop - going from a
heavily modified 10.04.2 to a stock 10.10, and if that works then up
to a stock 11.04 and then 11.10.  By the sheer number of errors I'm
getting, I'm not expecting the 10.04.2 ->  10.10 step to work smoothly,
so I'm downloading Debian Testing netinst images to burn.  Now, the
laptop in question is a dual-core AMD64, however I've never actually
run any 64bit OSes on it - I guess I was put off by the "problems"
faced early on.  Many years have passed since then, but have things
got any better?

So, I ask you, fellow LUGgers: is it worth installing AMD64 Debian on
an AMD64 machine, or should I stick with i386 Debian?

Answers on a postcard, or failing that here will be sufficient. :D

Cheers.
Grant.

I've run 32bit and 64 bit Ubu versions on the same machine and the 64bit is noticeably faster in many cases though the 64bit release often lacks some of the 32 bit packages but the programmer stuff is a much better in 64 bit. 1GB is fine but more helps. As for a fresh install - the 64bit WILL be a fresh install though it may copy your user details over if you let it. I find a fresh install usefull occasionally as I mess with stuff and it accumulates cockups - my recent upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 left me without belkin wireless network support and mullered sound but a fresh install came up singing and dancing - and blissfully told me my hardware want unity compatible!
I've had no problems moving 32 bit home to 64 bit but YMMV.
Tom te tom te tom