Re: [LUG] ammyy scam

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM, bad apple wrote:
> why the scamming companies haven't yet
> been blacklisted by the evil credit card companies is a bit of a
> mystery.

Because from the CC companies' point of view, they are hard to
distinguish from legitimate companies offering IT support. And there
are lots of them: after a few complaints they may close down the
account, but that won't make a great difference to the problem.

> I've not yet had a chance to analyse a machine hit by one of
> these scams to see what their choice of malware/rootkit payload is but
> I'd guess it's probably something hacked up from the usual Russian
> crimeware kits like blackhole, etc.

Yes, if they were to install some malware, I would think it is some
kind of pay-per-install stuff. If at all - perhaps they only charge
you for doing nothing. And for all I know, some may actually fix some
things. Unlikely but not impossible.

This is interesting by the way: http://indiancallcenterscam.blogspot.com/

Martijn.