Re: [LUG] ammyy scam

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011, Chris Tipney wrote:

Just had a fun 15 minutes listening to a 'tech' support guy who insisted I connect to his tech support network to free up my computer from 'all those errors that Microsoft programs create very day'

The website he sent me to was www.ammyy.com - at this point I told him he was running scam from abroad and I wasn't going to click on anything on his website.

I think Ammyy is actually a legit application - for remote access to a Windows PC.. So in the hands of a trusted support person it's a useful tool... In the hands of a scammer, it's a blunt axe.

Not long after the call ended - anyone else had this particular scam ? - it wasn't even very convincing perhaps the next one will do better :-)

Tell them; "Oh, your the scam that everyones talking about, I've been waiting for a call from you. I run Linux. What now?"

Gordon