Re: [LUG] Resizing partitions.

On 23/11/11 11:33, Jason Witcher wrote:
> but it only ever seems to reduce it by a maximum of 50%.

1. If you do not shrink with Windows, and use a third party shrinking
software, then windows can 'play up'. Especially if you have a hidden
'recover Windows' partition.

2. I do not know if you are trying on a laptop or desktop but with a
desktop I would most strongly suggest you leave original Windows hard
disc alone and install a second hard disk for Linux. This is easiest
solution with a  desktop machine.

3. Windows has set sizes for minimum Windows partitions I think as
while it only needs (Win 7 ) about 30GB it never reduces to this size in
my experimental experience. I Usually split my drives in two 50%  of
free disk (i.e . not counting hidden recovery or MBR etc partitions) so
actually only shrink 'visible partitions' by 50%

I use Windows to shrink Windows and then use GParted or Paragon Hard
Disk manager to sort out the rest.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald