Re: [LUG] Resizing partitions.

On 23 November 2011 11:18, Jack Oley <jackoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jason,
  Is the File Manager built into Windows 7?  If I reinstall Ubuntu, will I be able to merge the partition in which it currently resides with a big portion of the remaining HDD space (thus reducing the W7 partition)?

Thanks.   Jack.

Yes, go to Computer Management (right-click on the 'Computer' icon), then go to Storage->Disk Management it'll list the drives on the machine. Right-click on the partition you want to reduce and you'll have the option 'Shrink Volume', as the name suggests this will free some space up, but it only ever seems to reduce it by a maximum of 50%.
Trying it now on my W7 laptop which has a 219.61GB C drive (224,877MB), I've only used 43GB but the maximum it will shrink it by is 99,387MB, leaving 125,490MB. Still, that's more than enough to put a Linux installation on.
Jason