Re: [LUG] Resizing partitions.

On 22/11/11 16:24, Jack Oley wrote:
Hi all.  I wish to reduce my Windows partition and expand my Ubuntu (11.04) partition.  I've tried using GParted (live cd) and with its user-friendly GUI, things look to be very straightforward.  I can shrink the Windows partition and expand the extended partition which contains the Ubuntu, but when I go to complete the process, I get an advisory which says moving the start sector may result in the PC failing to boot.  So, I am very reluctant to go ahead just in case.  Will it be ok?  Do I have to move the Ubuntu section over to the left of the newly resized extended partition?  Is there anything I can do to ensure it will boot..?  Many thanks for any advice or guidance.  Jack.
The last time I tried reducing a Windows partition with Gparted it stopped booting completely - I think Windows has a bit of a scattergun approach and leaves files all over the place, and reducing the size with a 3rd party application can mean you end up deleting some important system files. Which version of Windows is it? If it's Vista or 7 you're far better off using the partition shrinker built in to File Manager, then installing Linux on the free space left as a result. If it's XP you might be better off with a complete reinstall - use GParted to create some partitions including one to the size you require to install Windows on, install Windows, then put Linux on.
Hope this helps,
Jason