Re: [LUG] OT: Internet going down in evenings

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> Does, or can, router record any activity?
>
> I'm thinking it might be reconnecting.

This is what the router logs say:

Sun, 2011-11-13 20:07:52 - LCP down.
Sun, 2011-11-13 20:08:05 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2011-11-13 20:08:05 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2011-11-13 20:08:12 - CHAP authentication success
Sun, 2011-11-13 20:08:29 - Loss of synchronization :126

> Is any wireless access secured, as I've seen oddities from infected
> clients before. Unlikely but thinking one could literally drive/walk by
> at similar times.

It's all secured.

> I agree with Gordon that electrical interference sounds likely.

Yes, that sounds most likely to me too. It is the most frustrating
possibility myself. I'd much prefer it to be something I could solve
myself.

> When I had similar problem that did cause reconnects my ISP (Entanet)
> were actually really helpful in describing what they recorded their end
> in terms of time of outage, reconnect speed, # errors recorded. I'm
> presuming they are reading that stuff from BT systems and relaying it to
> me, it might help. For example do you know that the outages don't occur
> at other time, i.e might they also happen when you are asleep?

They happen during the night, or at least they used to. (I had some
autossh sessions that continued to reconnect so upon waking up I would
see reconnections every morning.) I'm going to write some scripts that
log connectivity throughout the day for several days. Perhaps there is
some kind of pattern I haven't seen yet.

> Oh and our problem turned out to be incorrect configuration on the BT
> end of the line, which eventually we characterised sufficiently to get
> it passed to a BT guy who immediately recognised the likely cause and
> fixed it.

I haven't managed to get Demon beyond the standard 'try this, try
that' scritps. I found them frustratingly unhelpful -- though I may of
course been unlucky with the people I spoke to -- which is why I want
to get as much information as possible before getting in touch with
them again.

Anyway, thanks both for your help, much appreciated. Will report back
when I find out more - got a few more things to 'play around' with.

Martijn.