Re: [LUG] OT: Internet going down in evenings

On 13/11/11 18:38, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> All to no avail.

Does, or can, router record any activity?

I'm thinking it might be reconnecting.

Is any wireless access secured, as I've seen oddities from infected
clients before. Unlikely but thinking one could literally drive/walk by
at similar times.

I agree with Gordon that electrical interference sounds likely.

When I had similar problem that did cause reconnects my ISP (Entanet)
were actually really helpful in describing what they recorded their end
in terms of time of outage, reconnect speed, # errors recorded. I'm
presuming they are reading that stuff from BT systems and relaying it to
me, it might help. For example do you know that the outages don't occur
at other time, i.e might they also happen when you are asleep?

I'm thinking they might occur regularly in the morning or late evening,
if it is lighting or heating, it may need to switch off, or come on
again to warm folk in the morning.

BT (the ISP?) might also be able to see if other people are affected
(problem at Exchange end).

Oh and our problem turned out to be incorrect configuration on the BT
end of the line, which eventually we characterised sufficiently to get
it passed to a BT guy who immediately recognised the likely cause and
fixed it.