[LUG] WiFi Repeater

 Hi All,

I'm on Virginmedia and recently my modem went belly-up. They've replaced it, but sadly with one of their 'Super Hubs', which frankly is anything but Super. Anyway, I kept my old WiFi router - an Edimax BR-6574N and thought I'd use it as a WiFi Repeater. Simply put, I live in a dormer bungalow and the main PC and router are in my bedroom on the ground floor, front right corner. Not great for range. I configured the Edimax for repeater mode as per the manual and got a friend to put it in one of the upstairs back bedrooms (I'm in a wheelchair hence the downstairs bedroom). The point of the exercise is to extend the range in the back garden which is about 60' (I'm rubbish at distance estimates :)).

Now I've bored you with geography, my question is this. The Edimax has the VM Super Hub as a Wifi client. I've disabled dual channel on the VM as it was confusing the issue, both now use channel 1. However my main question is, should I be using the same ESSID for both devices? My gut instinct was yes, so I am, but I just wanted to clarify. The reason for asking is the poor performance of the repeater, only a ten feet or so further than I was getting already.

Kind regards,

Julian