Re: [LUG] WiFi Repeater

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 12:15 +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm on Virginmedia and recently my modem went belly-up.  They've
> replaced it, but sadly with one of their 'Super Hubs', which frankly is
> anything but Super.  Anyway, I kept my old WiFi router - an Edimax
> BR-6574N and thought I'd use it as a WiFi Repeater.  Simply put, I live
> in a dormer bungalow and the main PC and router are in my bedroom on the
> ground floor, front right corner.  Not great for range.  I configured
> the Edimax for repeater mode as per the manual and got a friend to put
> it in one of the upstairs back bedrooms (I'm in a wheelchair hence the
> downstairs bedroom).  The point of the exercise is to extend the range
> in the back garden which is about 60' (I'm rubbish at distance estimates
> :)).
>
> Now I've bored you with geography, my question is this.  The Edimax has
> the VM Super Hub as a Wifi client.  I've disabled dual channel on the VM
> as it was confusing the issue, both now use channel 1.  However my main
> question is, should I be using the same ESSID for both devices?  My gut
> instinct was yes, so I am, but I just wanted to clarify.  The reason for
> asking is the poor performance of the repeater, only a ten feet or so
> further than I was getting already.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

No a different ESSid for each

I have a 3Com with an Edimax and they work fine together extending my
wireless to a good 30 ft through Granite walls.

The Edimax has ADSL, gives dhcp to the 3Com which gives DHCP to extended
Wireless users I use 192.168.2.1 as default GW on the 3Com ( so the ip
of the Edimax is 192.168.2.1
a Subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

so I can give it's wireless clients 192.168.2.whatever in dhcp

and 3Coms clients get 192.168.1.whatever with a mask of 255.255.255.0

the two are kept separate as one is the Shop and one is the B&B

Channels are both 11 though.

Been working for about 3 years with no intervention.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
sip:kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxx