Re: [LUG] Recommendations for Linux friendly eBook readers please...?

I have a Kindle which I am very happy with. I did have my doubts about its DRM fiddling before I got it but I haven't had any problems. I had in France and Spain this year and bought and downloaded from Amazon with no problems. I have also loaded PDFs and other formats from my computer. I haven't tried to back-up the native Kindle format yet but, as has been said, you can re-download your books from Amazon.

The E-ink really can be read in bright sunlight and the font size is adjustable (my wife has very poor eyesight, even with glasses). She will be getting a Kindle for Xmas and we will be able to share our books. In fact you can share books with up to 5 other people by giving them your Amazon account details and they register their Kindles (or other devices??). This does require a high degree of trust though as they can buy books for you if they so desire or they can buy and put in their own credit card details. I think I will end up sharing with at least 3 others in the family.

i haven' tried the email and web browser facilities. The one thing I don't like is the keyboard. Typing letters from the keyboard is OK but you have to enter numbers and other characters by bringing up a character map and navigating it with arrow keys which can be tedious. Try putting in a wi-fi password which is a mixture of letters and numbers to test your patience level.

This http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/ereaders/1288054/top-10-things-you-should-know-about-your-kindle/2 gives more information.

George