Re: [LUG] SGI Indy Workstation - Looking for a loving home

after thinking I would like to pickup the system later on this coming week if I can???
Ed

From: bad apple <ifindthatinteresting@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:36:59 +0000 (GMT)
To: "list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LUG] SGI Indy Workstation - Looking for a loving home

Hi everyone, first post here.

Moved back from London recently and am clearing out a garage full of hoarded gear: most of it has gone on Freecycle, but I really don't think they would have the faintest idea what to do with some of my more exotic gear so I thought I'd see if any of you are interested first.

Exhibit one: an SGI Indy workstation with a MIPS r4600SC CPU and 128Mb RAM (I think: it's been a long time since it's been booted up). Graphics are 24bit XL, if I remember. 13W3 type connector (a cheap adaptor will connect it to a regular monitor, if the monitor supports sync-on-green). Supported operating systems are it's native SGI Irix, GNU/Linux (particularly Debian/Gentoo) and BSD (open or net flavours). Standard PS2 and ethernet connections.

A great little machine for playing with proper UNIX or experimenting with non-mainline architectures for Linux - obviously you're not going to be doing any serious 3D graphics work on it these days but for a machine that's nearly 20 years old it's amazingly quiet, efficient and great fun to hack about. Being a classic SGI, it also has an achingly cool design - silver-flecked blue paintjob and the original 3D cube logo!

It's with great reluctance that I have to get rid of it - it was my first SGI machine and I learnt IRIX on it many years ago - but I'm keeping my Indigo2 MaxImpact and Octane2 and the missus is seriously going to kill me if she can't get her car in the garage by christmas so this is *free to a good home*. I can provide some help and support if needed and Irix 5.3/6.5 install media if you want to try the original OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Indy

Kind regards,

Mat
-- The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG http://mailman.dclug.org.uk/listinfo/list FAQ: http://www.dcglug.org.uk/listfaq