Re: [LUG] Message about a virus

Life, love, peace and freedom

Pete (Le M)

On 31/10/11 09:19, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Peter M Le Mare wrote:

On 30/10/11 20:14, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
On 30/10/2011 15:18, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Today I received an email with the following message.

Another probably naive question but is there a virus scan for Linux. Or is this automatically done. In windows I used AVG as I had found it to be the best for windows.

Clam-AV is a popular one for Linux - however it doesn't do on-demand scanning - ie. it only scans from the command-line to scan a file or directory and won't scan programs as they get executed.

This is fine for most purposes though - especially if the PC is used as a server for Windows clients who may store virus laden files - not that they will have any effect on Linux, but at least you can warn them.

It might be a good idea to make sure the company you employ to handle your email is capable of virus scanning incoming emails for you. Even though email bourne viruses are on the decline, it might still help - especially if you sometimes use a Win email client to read your email.

I do not read any of my e-mail on line, on my servers website, (except occasionally when I am away for a longish period). I cannot see why anyone doesn't want there own e-mails. I don't know whether my server (Tiscali- now Talk Talk) do have some virus filter at their end but I believe they do filter out some of my scam (I receive up to hundred e-mails per day and about 50% or more of the ones I get into Thunderbird are scam). I also have most of my e-mails automatically forwarded to Talk Talk from the holder of my domain name, Easily, but I have no idea (and don't think they do) whether they filter them in some way.
Is it also still true for Linux NOT to open the the 'message pane' in ones e-mail client (Thunderbird) to guard against virus's (virii?)

I've no idea about that, but the plural of virus is generally acknowledged to be viruses, but see:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/latinlearning/f/virusplural.htm

times change.
The virii word was just a weak try at a joke!!
Thanks for your reply.
Gordon