Re: [LUG] Message about a virus

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Peter M Le Mare wrote:

On 30/10/11 20:14, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
On 30/10/2011 15:18, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Today I received an email with the following message.

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS NOTICE TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. In the coming days, you should be aware..... Do not open any message with an attachment called: Invitation FACEBOOK, regardless of who sent it. It is a virus that opens an Olympic torch that burns the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be .....

Yet another hoax??? Just a re-written version of similar ones since about 2000/01

Another probably naive question but is there a virus scan for Linux. Or is this automatically done. In windows I used AVG as I had found it to be the best for windows.

Clam-AV is a popular one for Linux - however it doesn't do on-demand scanning - ie. it only scans from the command-line to scan a file or directory and won't scan programs as they get executed.

This is fine for most purposes though - especially if the PC is used as a server for Windows clients who may store virus laden files - not that they will have any effect on Linux, but at least you can warn them.

It might be a good idea to make sure the company you employ to handle your email is capable of virus scanning incoming emails for you. Even though email bourne viruses are on the decline, it might still help - especially if you sometimes use a Win email client to read your email.

Is it also still true for Linux NOT to open the the 'message pane' in ones e-mail client (Thunderbird) to guard against virus's (virii?)

I've no idea about that, but the plural of virus is generally acknowledged to be viruses, but see:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/latinlearning/f/virusplural.htm

times change.

Gordon