Re: [LUG] Virtual server hosting recommendations

On 30/10/11 18:32, Phil Brooke wrote:

> Can anyone recommend (or warn of) any virtual server hosting companies?
> (With a mild preference for UK based services.)

Bytemark are still serving the GLUG well.

Also have a server from Stoned IT if budget is an issue they are very
cheap and I've had excellent service (I think they are Holland and
Germany). Have seen the odd short drop in connectivity from the UK, but
hard to know if it is them or something in between, but no worse than
say 1and1. Usually in the small hours so I suspect some where in the
chain most of it is somebodies maintenance window that I didn't know
about in advance. Their website is hideously dated (Supporting Debian
3,4,5 - yeah), it is I suspect a one man band, but he seems good.

http://stoned-it.com/

Whatever you choose back it up somewhere else is my advice.

> I'm also inclined to buy a domain name from a different registrar.

I use my employer (zynet.net) or GoDaddy - not especially impressed with
GoDaddy but it worked.