Re: [LUG] Virtual server hosting recommendations

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011, Phil Brooke wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend (or warn of) any virtual server hosting companies? (With a mild preference for UK based services.)

Mild? I'd suggest it's essential unless your target audience isn't the UK.. Without trying to sound "buy british", it really makes a lot of sense to keep it in the UK - from latency and bandwidth issues to support in the same timezone, etc.

(as well as buying british!!!)

I'm thinking of running some email, a little web serving, etc. from it. So no great demands. I'm tempted by one of the âunmeteredâ types (e.g., gandi.net) simply for fixed pricing. But are there any others worth looking at?

www.bytemark.co.uk

I think it's what the dcglug website runs under and I think another member or 2 uses them too. They also host Debian/Ubuntu mirrors and probably others, and they have fixed-price deals.

I'm also inclined to buy a domain name from a different registrar. While it's tempting to get it all done through one vendor, I'm expecting that I'll have to move services from time to time and some separation of roles seems appropriate there.

Any advice?

That's good advice - ie. use a separate registrar. But who to pick. I know a couple of my clients (I manage servers/virtual servers as part of what I do) use 123-reg, but I also know that 123-reg has had a lot of stick in the past.

Other independants include www.portfast.co.uk, www.herald.co.uk, www.gradwell.com to name a few... (these also do hosting)

I use an outfit called totalregistrations, but they just do registration - I provide the DNS servers - something you might not want to do at this point in time.

Good luck!

Gordon