Re: [LUG] Oh dear

On 21/10/11 18:59, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
> Oh dear...
>
> *http://tinyurl.com/6b6j8o5*
>
> A rant (I know it's ZDNET) but if its true you have to feel for the
> guy....we've all been there at least once no matter what the OS!

I won't type what I think of the guy as their might be youngsters present.

"So when Gnome said there were updates to apply, I said okay."

"Iâm no tech babe in the woods. Iâve been a UNIX product manager, Iâve
written kernel code, and Iâve taught programming at the college level."

So why is he running GNOME on a server? Okay so we know he has no clue
on how to run a server.

"Oh, and one last point. Donât go telling me I donât know what Iâm
doing, because that proves my case against Linux. I know quite well what
Iâm doing, but not to the level that is apparently required to keep a
simple LAMP machine running."

Okay he now knows he doesn't know what he is doing.

The amusing thing is Microsoft has been working hard to make the PHP
experience better as they realised they were losing market share to
people going the other way because the AMP bit and the MP bit is easier
on GNU/Linux.

"Thatâs how you survive with a Linux distro apparently. Once itâs
installed and works, never, ever update it."

All mine are bang up to date (although one is running an older debian
release it is fully patched), and I've not had a problem from an update
in years in Debian stable despite expecting several given some kernel
wackiness on some virtual boxes.

"Can you imagine my rank naivety here? I actually said Okay to a Linux
update. I know I should have known better. I know I should have,
instead, formatted another hard drive, ddâd my furry little pile of
files over, downloaded the source tarball, compiled everything all over
again, prayed to Linus, turned my back to Redmond, and built my entire
operating system up from scratch, just to install some security updates."

Or just backed it up first. Surely this is the kicker for most of this.
Windows pretty much by design needs reinstalling when you mess up, or
your hardware breaks. Restoring backups to different hardware is
unsupported, and needs serious ninja skills in the Windows world. Our
Windows boxes eat resource in needing tender loving care to ADS, when it
doesn't really achieve anything more for us than NIS did (username and
password synchronisation).

If he just wants a simple LAMP stack why isn't he using one of the many
virtual server providers who provide instance snapshots, makes undoing
this sort of thing a couple of mouse clicks. Amazon instances not big
enough for him at 15GB RAM and 1.5TB of local instance storage...