Re: [LUG] asterisk dahdi issues

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have seen TDM400 cards (or rather the modules) get screwed over with lightening though - had any down there recently?
Don't think so because when I swap the BT lines the fault appears on the other port I.E. red was os chan 4 now on chan 3.

Ah, OK. Sounds like the line is duff in some horrible way then, however persuading BT to fix it when audio over it sounds OK with a standard phone might be somewhat tricky...

Or maybe it's just the DACS. Horrible stuff analogue. Just port to VoIP and be done with it.

Not sure I can find out when I was put on DACS, so now need to try and get off it.

You'll be lucky... They generally won't unless it's to supply ADSL over...

Yes, not sure about porting to VOIP, it's a one way move (I think) and requires BB to work (I think).

If it's on DACS it's not supplying broadband. ADSL doesn't work over DACS. How did you work out it was on a DACS?

And porting is not one-way - I've had numbers ported in then out again - back to BT and other VoIP companies. They come & go.

It's not all plain sailing though - not all telcos can port between telcos - so I currently have one that's been ported into Gamma from some weird telco who registered it originally, and while my upstream can port from Gamma, they can't port this number because they don't have an agreement with the originating telco. Subsequent ports are a bit of a nightmare, and there is no central database saying which numbers have been ported where either.... )-:

And I think BT will only port back into the same area code physically, so if you ported a number, moved out of the area code, then wanted to take it back to BT, they'd refuse. Actually, they'd do it, but give you a new number in the new area code, then put on a permanent divert to the old number and charge you an arm and a leg and a few tentacles for good measure.

Gordon