Re: [LUG] TeX/LaTeX

Hi, new member here,
  Latex is an absolute godsend if you're putting together a document that's heavy on equations and/or images. I chose to learn it for putting my thesis together, and found later it was the only option for turning out consulting documents with lots of images.
Word et al grind to a halt with too much imagery, whereas Latex  hooks the graphics files into the output document only, which you can choose to be ps, eps, pdf etc. That means its never trying to hold all your graphics in memory, whilst maintaining editor functionality, at the same time.
Although the Word Processor equation editors have improved in the last 10 years they're still time consuming if you have many equations to write in.  Latex allows you to keep tying with short codes for maths symbols.
Easy to learn? With one of the Latex handbooks, I'd say there's an overhead of maybe a solid day, and it helps to have a couple of templates to refer to or a friend to ask dumb questions. I played with one of the Latex GUI gismos but found it kind of defeated the object - Latex is slim and efficient,  worth a try!

Best,
Jill.