Re: [LUG] TeX/LaTeX

On Oct 08, 2011, Philip Hudson wrote:

> Anyone know anything about TeX/LaTeX? How easy is it to learn, how
> useful is it, who uses it, etc.

I have used plain TeX for some years but I've not used LaTeX. I found
the installation quite difficult but you are probably better at that.
I use it to write letters, design forms and write my treasurers reports.
Also for formatting reports based on data put out by MySQL. Just
recently I have started to use it to set mathematics and of course for
that it is superb since that is why Donald Knuth wrote it. The TeXbook
is clearly written and quite amusing. If there is some tricky type-
setting you need to do there is almost certainly an example in the book
showing you how to do it.

Tony