Re: [LUG] Intel i5. Debian 32 or 64 bit?

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011, Dan Dart wrote:

Virtualisation can be on desktop too, I use virtualbox, kvm, qemu, etc. It
also helps for web browsing, especially if your browsers are as leaky as
they are these days.

But how much resources are you "wasting" by running the virtualisation platform ...

(Sort of ;-) but who knows!)

As for leaky browsers - I just don't get it - well, very rarely - and I think that's more to do with the garbage cleanup in firefox than actually running out of memory. But I'm not a "power user" - I don't have many extensions loaded, don't browse too many web 2oreah sites, etc. (Although Entanets Synergi really does my head in )-:

Firefox currently running at:

16488 gordon    20   0  734m 397m  24m S    9 19.8 544:41.88 firefox
 8277 gordon    20   0  126m  22m  12m S    0  1.1   8:49.69 plugin-containe

I have 3 windows open and about a dozen tabs in each. Have to say that I do restart it more often that I used to - but they've made it easy to do that and restore all the tabs. Hang on, I'll do it now..

 4697 gordon    20   0  435m 144m  26m S   36  7.2   0:32.34 firefox

No plugin container (yet) as I've no flash running (thanks to flashblocker) So with exactly the same windows open, it's dropped 300MB. I wonder how much of that is cache/buffers though. Probably hard to tell, but I'm sure there is a config page somewhere... no-wonder we need 4GB is a desktop these days! (I have 2GB)

I've never seen firefox much about that though and I often leave it running for weeks.

I now use virtualisation (LXC) on my desktop PC to provide separate environments for each project I'm working in - e.g. my router project, the PBX, train broadband, etc. There are all "servery" type applications with no need for X so run very well inside LXC with very little overhead. (And they run at 100% CPU speed too - LXC has no virtualisation overhead)

Is Midori any better?

No idea - Wy not try it and let us know :)

Gordon