Re: [LUG] Intel i5. Debian 32 or 64 bit?

On 05/10/11 13:39, Gibbs wrote:
On 05/10/11 13:21, Adrian Midgley wrote:
New machine here, got an Ubuntu install on it which is quite nice but
a bit disorienting.

8GBytes of RAM.

Is Debian 64 the way to go, whch I gather means the AMD64 download, or
should I stick to 32 bit (with the bigmem stuff)?

64 bit in my opinion. If you are looking at utilising over 4GB of RAM that's the best way. You *can* use your 8GB by using the "bigmem" kernel but its not as efficient. AMD64 is just the name given to the x86 instruction set (64 bit), your Intel will work fine with it.

Someone else will probably be more experienced with any 64bit issues.

Gibbs
Having played with 32 bit on a 64 bit machine I'd say its noticeably slower - if you know how to thrash it.
Having said that I can run netbeans in debug mode on php on apache, large database queries through the same and a whole gaggle of programming support and rarely break 2G ram usage.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone ever uses 8g and what for?
Tom te tom te tom