Re: [LUG] Intel i5. Debian 32 or 64 bit?

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 06/10/11 08:49, Gordon Henderson wrote:

My own use is for virtual servers - more often than not what I run out
of is RAM and not CPU cycles (and I suspect that's typicaly for your
average LAMP setup), so it makes sense to have more RAM if you've got
cycles to spare.

Despite a huge amount of CPU burnt at work because of the wrong Perl
YAML library (tip don't use the one named YAML), we are memory bound
with 8GB of RAM and 4 AMD CPUs.

Although some of that is probably vagaries of virtualisation technology....

I think Tom was probably meaning desktop use.

Yea, afterall, 640KB is enought for anyone ... ;-)

Gordon