Re: [LUG] Intel i5. Debian 32 or 64 bit?

On 06/10/11 07:50, tom wrote:
On 05/10/11 13:39, Gibbs wrote:
On 05/10/11 13:21, Adrian Midgley wrote:
Is Debian 64 the way to go, whch I gather means the AMD64 download, or
should I stick to 32 bit (with the bigmem stuff)?

64 bit in my opinion. If you are looking at utilising over 4GB of RAM
that's the best way. You *can* use your 8GB by using the "bigmem"
kernel but its not as efficient. AMD64 is just the name given to the
x86 instruction set (64 bit), your Intel will work fine with it.

Someone else will probably be more experienced with any 64bit issues.

I run 64-bit Ubuntu on my desktop machine, and on my laptop, and it works really well. I have in the past had issues with things like Flash, but I haven't had any problems with anything for a year or so.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone ever uses 8g and what for?

I often run 3 or 4 VMs on my desktop machine, with various versions of Windows, and alternative linux distributions (e.g. 3 different versions of Fedora) for packaging and testing purposes. If I give each 1Gb of ram (so it runs nicely) then having plenty of RAM in the host enables everything to run smoothly without the painful slowdown of excessive memory paging, especially when Firefox decides it needs 3Gb like it did yesterday.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++0x thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk