Re: [LUG] Power supply behaviour (and sources)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

Noted Gordon's 32GB SSD - good idea.

I had a few motives for fitting this to my wifes PC... One was noise - the msin requirement was for as quiet a PC as possible.

Another was speed - although a good SATA drive would have been sufficient. (however once past the BIOS, it does boot into Gnome in about 20 seconds.

Another motive was so that I could play with some NFS caching I wanted to deploy elsewhere - and to sort of make sure that she uses the server to store her data on (server is backed up, her PC isn't - although it is, but don't tell her that!)

The NFS caching works a treat - and combined with a nice fast SSD makes somethings appear to be instant and not at the end of a 100Mb Ethernet at all.

It's an OCZ Vertex device - looks like it might have been end of lined though. Cost was about 40 quid IIRC. You can get a *lot* of spinny drive for 40 quid these days though.

I'm quite jealous of her PC - to the extent that when I get paid for the job I'm currently doing I'm going to go out & build myself an identical box and upgrade the home server with my current workstation's base.

Gordon