Re: [LUG] Power supply behaviour (and sources)

On 29/09/11 07:30, tom wrote:

> I got a 4 core 64 bit AMD jobbie with 4 gig ram that I'm finding hard to
> utilise anywhere near fully

Really? I think I can consume near infinte amounts of RAM since it all
helps it run faster.

Non geek friends think my "make sure it has 4GB or preferentially 8GB of
RAM mad for general use. But based on past experience this is the way to
increase the machine's life time, and generally improve performance.

On the other hand my mates Windows laptop, which is much better specced
runs like a dog - too much c***ware installed. It was still starting up
after 3 minutes - sigh. So perhaps the best way to extend lifespan is
not to run Microsoft Windows.

My current machine has 1GB, increased from 512MB during its 8 year life
span. It wasn't cheap, but it still does (just), although not getting a
proper graphics card was a mistake (not that I need much graphics, but
something with basic 3D acceleration would have been good).

Noted Gordon's 32GB SSD - good idea.