Re: [LUG] Linux on the Desktop - again ..

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Adrian Midgley wrote:

On 1 September 2011 16:06, Gibbs <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Feel free to try this one: http://unicorn.drogon.net/xxx.docx

OpenOffice - Debian 6 - crashed on opening it.

That's what we have here - however we did eventually manage to resolve the issue.

Try putting such things in Google Docs?

Try using standards based systems... However that document was produced by a local authority, so the hell will probably freeze over before either they use google docs or adopt open standards.

My wife has found it a real struggle to try to deal with local authorities who quite hapilly email out docx's, or powerpointless documents, etc. all full of various weird and wonderful formatting produced by the corp-rat entities ... "but it works for us"... Great.

Basically with very few exceptions, the uk.gov runs on, and appears to be ruled by... Microsoft. I've almost given up hope.

e.g. a local charity museum has a project to scan, catalogue, index, crossreference, and whatnot about 2000 local old photos... There are commercial packages out there and the Devon museums people want them to use one which costs £900 - plus the cost of on-going licensing, storage, etc. Oh, did I mention the PCs I built for them all run Linux?

So I'm going to write (& host) a little database for the local one - then offer to sell it to the Museums people for half what they currently pay... I chances of them taking it up are still slim...

Gordon