Re: [LUG] Broadband Problems

On 22/09/2011 09:57, Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 19/09/2011 09:54, Roland Tarver wrote:
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Peter Lloyd-Jones
<peteralloydjones@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I contacted BT Friday morning who said there was not problem with the line.
I contacted Plus Net who confirmed that my line was OK but my modem was not
working.
  I do not think it can me anything to do with technicians
down holes for the last few days between here and Yelverton (or could it??).

All the best

Peter L-J

1. How old is wire from attachment to your house wall to phone box
terminal inside house?  This is relevant to intermittent faults which
can give line OK signal but failure at some times.
2. From mid 1960s to end 1970s BT used a Steel Wire Copper Coated inside
plastic cable cover to 'save money'..
3. Problem arises if lead nails to wall are 'slightly loose' round wire
and in wind cause crack in plastic, thence copper worn, thence rust of
steel inner wire. Rust particles give excellent service at some times
and noise or disconnect at others. This means when you have phone
service there may be noise but test of line is OK. In winds, rain storm
  etc rust  parts company and no connection. All this is hidden behind
the lead nail to wall.  It took a dedicated BT  guy , who I would have
had to pay for , if no fault found, looking with a magnifying glass at
all wall connections, behind nails, then finding crack replaced the
'down comer wire' from house wall to phone box.
Indeed! let's not forget the 'crack' that was delibrately placed there during the intial install or at any time the line was last inspected/fixed - normally done during the usual winter fault fixing season, ready for the summer when remedial/fix work is slack. I used to work with BT years back and during my training I was encouraged to do the same - this was a daily occurrence. FWIW - the 'fault' is normally placed just below the dropwire anchor - out of sight unless you get up a ladder !!

Dave