Re: [LUG] OpenVPN ?

On 14/09/11 09:20, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I have to setup some VPN access for a small company's road warriors -
> they're all Win users, but I'm thinking of using OpenVPN rather than
> PPTP - they have a Linux router (one of mine although it only has a 1GHz
> Celeron processor), so it seems a logical choice.
>
> Wrong list, probably, but anyone here any experience of setting up the
> OpenVPN client on a Win box? Almost likely to be Win7, but possibly the
> odd XP or Vista... Just want to know how easy (or hard) it might be...
> (For your typical sales dude who won't have a clue)

I have it running on around a hundred teacher laptops. The only major
problem I've come across is "wireless hotspots" which require http(s) to
random places. Probably not likely to be an issue here.

in c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config is reasonably idiot proof.
Though you may need to carefully consider routing and/or IP addressing
if the laptop will be connected to the same LAN as the servers/VPN
gateway. (Also if the laptop has the ability to switch off its wireless
card when ethernet is connected enable this.)