Re: [LUG] Wireless netbook works perfectly in one location; but not another... ?

On 13/09/11 12:28, Roland Tarver wrote:
problem location (1) is a netgear dgn1000. The netbook OS is

I've seen problems similar to what you describe on a dgn1000 wifi network with Windows 7 boxes attached - slow connections, router stopping responding, websites failing to load etc.

Bizarrely, my Ubuntu laptop works fine consistently apart from when the router just gives up and all connections drop. Rebooting the router brings everyone online again but after a few hours things start playing up again.

dgn1000s are new(ish) aren't they? Is there a new firmware available yet? There wasn't when I last looked.

I've not had a chance to look into my problem in any detail but I have noticed that the dgn1000 supports quite a few wifi features concurrently. My plan was to switch some of them off to see if that helped. Specifically, you can have WPA with AES *and* TKIP encryption simultaneously but clients will use *either* one or the other, not both. It also has a special proprietary Netgear -> Netgear speed enhancement thingie which sounds "dodgy".

It might also be worth checking what MTU is set on all the equipment involved. If I remember correctly, LANs are supposed to run at 1500 (but most kit can auto-sense) but ADSL connections can be different depending on the ISP (1400+/-).

Martin