Re: [LUG] Getting to grips with CUPS ..

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:01:29 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

> It's not entirely possible that we've just not done "something" that
> we're supposed to do... But what? I was plesantly surprised after I

Always a good question.  I found that trying to alter a few settings in
KDE's own printer settings often confused the issue.  Maybe using
Gnome's own, rather than Cups' has a similar effect.

TBH, I'm probably not the best person in the world to help as, by and
large, my printer "just works".  Which is not want you want to hear, I
suspect.

> It's also using the HP driver - HPLIP - although it's being used by
> CUPS.

Yeah, I set up my hplip in the same way.  Have you checked the hplip
support site to see if that shows any known issues?

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Unfortunately, their support is entirely web-based, and requires setting
up a Launchpad account.  Not that it costs anything, but it's bloody
annoying.

> through a page... No obvious errors, then it becomes "disabled" in the
> printer configuration tool that Gnome has. This printer has worked OK
> for a few years under Win XP.

At least that eliminates the printer as being faulty (I hope).  I do see
mention of Gnome's printer config tool.  Perhaps try avoiding it, if
possible.

> I don't particularly like leaving the laserjet printer turned on all
> the time, as even when it's in power save mode, there in a fan running
> and it sucks 30 watts, so we turn it off when it's not in-use.

It shouldn't be necessary to leave a printer on 24/7, although I've been
told in the past that lasers tend to be more fussy about constant power
cycling.  Whether that's still true, IDK.  But with power costing what
it does these days, anything that can be left off is a godsend.

--
 Regards  _
The man in a tracksuit attacks me