Re: [LUG] Getting to grips with CUPS ..

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 18:57:53 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

If this is the default behaviour of CUPS, then it's a huge step
backwards IMO.

I fully understand your ire;  I recently had to deal with a Windows
machine where the screen had rotated through 90Â for no apparent
reason.  It all seemed so bloody stupid.

It's of no consolation to you I know, but I've rarely had trouble using
CUPS.  Even on the occasions when I have, it's been traceable to user
(i.e. me) error.

It's not entirely possible that we've just not done "something" that we're supposed to do... But what? I was plesantly surprised after I installed Debian on it that it recognised the printers without much effort at all and printed a test page on them. It seemed to go downhill after that.

A good deal depends on the quality of the driver being used, I'm sure.
It's one of the reasons I tend to opt for HP machines;  They provide
drivers for Linux.

It's an HP printer (Both are - but we've more or less given up on the inkjet - the laserjet is an HP4600N - Ethernet port, 96MB RAM, duplexor, photo colour, etc...)

It's also using the HP driver - HPLIP - although it's being used by CUPS.

The inkjet is a HP Photosmart 2570 - a very nice little printer - USB with it's own power supply. It stops printing about 5/6 of the way through a page... No obvious errors, then it becomes "disabled" in the printer configuration tool that Gnome has. This printer has worked OK for a few years under Win XP.

I don't particularly like leaving the laserjet printer turned on all the time, as even when it's in power save mode, there in a fan running and it sucks 30 watts, so we turn it off when it's not in-use.

Gordon