Re: [LUG] Pandaboard

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 08:57 +0100, Dava wrote:
Hi there,
Im looking at making an android powered slate, similar to microsoft surface but on a smaller scale (19-24") and was looking at pandaboard. They look like a viable solution, and have projects using android already built. Anyone had any dealings with these? Anything i should look out for? The only thing holding me back is the touch screen, and what will work with this board.
Any input will be brilliant

Regards

Dave

I'm holding out for a raspberry-pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org ) the
specs (at present!) are as follows:

BCM2708 ARM processor (approx 700MHz AFAICT)
128/256M Shared RAM (depending on Model)
10/100-Base Networking
SD Card Slot
2 x USB ports
2 x GPIO
Composite Video out
Analog Audio out
HDMI @ 720p

They're not due for release until November this year, however they're
only going to cost $35 (it's a UK org but all the prices are in dollars
at the moment) so I'm probably going to get a couple.

The good news is that instead of running Android (which IMHO is fine for
a phone but doesn't really scale to anything larger) it will run "full"
linux - Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora have all been tested and working - I
don't see what Gentoo or Arch wouldn't work as long as you can compile
them for ARM... :)

There's a great video for them running Quake3 Arena on it and the
graphics are v. quick - sustained framerate of between  20/26 FPS and
that's mainly because they've got some kind of issue with the libraries
for the GPU.

Hope that's of some help,

Matt
Cheers for the info, i did look into raspberry, yeah its v cheap, saw the quake video, some amazing bit of kit for the size, my only gripe is the ram, nearer to a gig and i would definitely get one! The thing is if i was going to run Ubuntu or similar i would go 86/64. I wanted to go Honeycomb/ICS (when they release the damn source lol) As it is totally touch, the end result will be it being mounted into a coffee table so depth/size of the components isn't an issue. Honeycomb is able to run totally soft' buttons which will be ideal for a sealed unit like this.

Dave