Re: [LUG] Pandaboard

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 08:57 +0100, Dava wrote:
> Hi there,
> Im looking at making an android powered slate, similar to microsoft
> surface but on a smaller scale (19-24") and was looking at pandaboard.
> They look like a viable solution, and have projects using android
> already built. Anyone had any dealings with these? Anything i should
> look out for? The only thing holding me back is the touch screen, and
> what will work with this board.
> Any input will be brilliant
>
> Regards
>
> Dave

I'm holding out for a raspberry-pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org ) the
specs (at present!) are as follows:

BCM2708 ARM processor (approx 700MHz AFAICT)
128/256M Shared RAM (depending on Model)
10/100-Base Networking
SD Card Slot
2 x USB ports
2 x GPIO
Composite Video out
Analog Audio out
HDMI @ 720p

They're not due for release until November this year, however they're
only going to cost $35 (it's a UK org but all the prices are in dollars
at the moment) so I'm probably going to get a couple.

The good news is that instead of running Android (which IMHO is fine for
a phone but doesn't really scale to anything larger) it will run "full"
linux - Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora have all been tested and working - I
don't see what Gentoo or Arch wouldn't work as long as you can compile
them for ARM... :)

There's a great video for them running Quake3 Arena on it and the
graphics are v. quick - sustained framerate of between  20/26 FPS and
that's mainly because they've got some kind of issue with the libraries
for the GPU.

Hope that's of some help,

Matt
--